McGuiness Dermatology & Plastic Surgery
Dermatologists and Aesthetic Specialists located in , Flower Mound, Plano, Prosper, Murphy & Richardson, TX
A rash that develops on your skin can be alarming, especially if it appears unexpectedly with redness and itching. If you have a rash that doesn’t resolve with over-the-counter treatments, visit the expert dermatologists at McGuiness Dermatology & Plastic Surgery with offices in Plano, Flower Mound, Prosper, and Murphy, Texas. Call one of the offices or book an appointment online to have your rash evaluated, diagnosed, and treated.
Rash Q & A
What causes rashes?
“Rash” refers to a number of skin conditions that cause uncomfortable effects. Usually, you experience a red patch, roughness, small bumps, or blisters on the skin. The dermatologists at McGuiness Dermatology & Plastic Surgery will consider several possible causes of your rash including:
- Skin conditions, including eczema and psoriasis
- Dry skin
- Allergic reaction to soaps, insect bites, or foods
- Drug reactions
- Internal diseases, including iron deficiency anemia, thyroid problems, and celiac disease
The majority of rashes cause no long-term harm but are an annoyance.
How do dermatologists treat rashes?
Most rashes can be treated with over-the-counter anti-itch creams, antihistamines, and moisturizing lotions. But when these strategies fail, the dermatologists at McGuiness Dermatology & Plastic Surgery do a thorough evaluation of your rash to devise a treatment plan. They may also provide prescription creams and oral medications, such as antihistamines, antibiotics, and cortisone. Light therapy can help relieve some chronic rashes, especially those caused by conditions such as psoriasis.
Depending on the nature of the rash, the team may perform a skin biopsy, which involves taking a small sampling of the cells. They then send this biopsy to a lab for analysis and a clearer diagnosis. If you’re found to have an underlying condition causing your rash, treating it can get you relief.
What can I do at home to alleviate discomfort from rashes?
In addition to following the treatment plan provided by the team at McGuiness Dermatology & Plastic Surgery, you can take steps to be more comfortable as your rash resolves. These steps include:
- Avoid irritants such as rough clothing, warm temperatures, and hot baths
- Use simple cleaning products and body lotions, soaps, and detergents
- Cool the skin with a high-quality lotion or cooling gel, such as calamine lotion
- Avoid scratching irritated areas
- Apply cool, damp compresses to affected areas
- Take a lukewarm bath with added baking soda or uncooked oatmeal
- Reduce stress through meditation, yoga, and counseling
Some people also find relief by using over-the-counter oral allergy medications, especially at night, to alleviate itching.
To identify the cause of a rash and seek treatment, call one of the offices of McGuiness Dermatology & Plastic Surgery or book a consultation online today.
What we offer
Laser Hair Removal
miraDry® Sweat and Odor Reduction